Male urological diseases, such as prostate adenoma and prostatitis, are characterized by a marked impact on a man's quality of life. Violation of urination, pain syndrome, decreased sexual activity, infertility and many other problems are the reason for contacting specialists. The variety of drugs produced for prostate adenoma allows you to avoid surgical interventions, complications and other unpleasant changes in a man's life.
Remedies for prostate adenoma
The appointment of drugs is carried out individually, depending on the nature of the course of the disease and is determined by a number of criteria:
- Prevalence of a certain type of symptomatology:
- irritating (frequent urination, urinary incontinence, nocturnal urination, strong urge to urinate, uncontrollable);
- obstructive (difficulty urinating, weakening of airway pressure, dripping).
- Presence / absence of complications.
- Diagnostic data:
- Ultrasound (size);
- characteristics of urine flow, presence of residual urine.
- Presence / absence of comorbidities.
- Presence of infectious complications.
- Degree of bladder and kidney damage.
- The importance of sexual activity for men.
- rectal suppositories;
- instillations (insertion of substances into the urethra);
- moderate and severe symptoms of the disease;
- predominance of severe irritating symptoms;
- the volume of the enlarged organ is not more than 55 cm (treatment does not contribute to the reduction of size).
- eliminate symptoms after 48 hours from the moment of application;
- do not lower the level of prostate specific antigen in the blood (does not mask prostate cancer);
- improving fat metabolism (lowering cholesterol);
- increased insulin receptor sensitivity (prevention of diabetes mellitus);
- moderate and severe symptoms of the disease;
- predominance of severe obstructive symptoms;
- the size of the enlarged organ is more than 55 cm;
- decreased sexual desire, weakened erection;
- a drop in the blood level of prostate specific antigen, which masks the early detection of prostate cancer;
- mild symptoms of the disease;
- a slight increase in tumor size;
- the patient’s desire to maintain full sexual activity during treatment.
- African plum tree bark extract (Pygeum africanum). The active ingredient is lipidosterols, which have a pronounced anti-inflammatory property, suppress uncontrolled cell growth, reduce hyperexcitability of the muscular layer of the bladder and urethra, thus eliminating irritating symptoms and also reduce the volume of education.
- Hypoxis rooperi plant extract is a combination of phytosterols and their glycosides. Substances suppress the inflammatory process, normalize the tone of the vessels of the genitourinary organs and eliminate diurnal phenomena. The substance normalizes the metabolism of fat in the body.
- Pumpkin seed oil (Cucurbita pepo) has anti-inflammatory, anti-proliferative, metabolic properties, and also stimulates the immune system, improves urination, reduces pain.
- nettle root (Urtica dioica). Reduces inflammatory processes, dysuric phenomena, does not affect the size of the tumor;
- extracts of a number of tropical plants.
The medicine for prostate adenoma can be administered in different ways:
The point of application of the drug is a definite link in the pathogenesis of the disease, based on this, they are combined into groups.
This group is a leader in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
In the gland affected by the tumor, urethra and bladder, the number of alpha-adrenoceptors is increased and the course of the disease contributes to their excessive stimulation, resulting in a spasm of the smooth muscles of the organs, which explains the occurrence. of irritating symptoms. The principle of operation of the drug is the binding of the active substance to the α1-adrenergic receptors of the genitourinary organs and their blockage.
Several subtypes of alpha-1-adrenergic receptors are known, which are located not only in the genitourinary organs, but also in the walls of the main human arteries. If a drug from this group does not selectively bind to the receptor but binds to all adrenergic receptor subtypes, then this will lead to a range of side effects from the heart and blood vessels. There are several alpha-blockers that selectively bind to α1-adrenergic receptors.
The drug for prostate adenoma, which contains as active ingredient tamsulosin, terazosin, doxazosin, is considered the number 1 drug among alpha-blockers in the treatment of BPH.
These substances selectively and for a long time block adrenergic receptors.
Reasons for choosing alpha-blockers:
The pronounced effect of application occurs after a few weeks from the beginning of administration and reaches a maximum after 3-6 months.
Side effects: orthostatic hypotension, tachycardia, dry mouth, nausea, abdominal pain, headache, weakness, impotence, reverse sperm reflux into the bladder during ejaculation, visual impairment, etc. Side effects develop in about 15% of patients.
The drug causes a decrease in blood pressure, so the initial doses in the treatment of drugs from this group of prostatitis are minimal.
Drug release form: tablets and capsules.
5-alpha reductase inhibitors
The development of BPH is based on age-related hormonal changes related to testosterone metabolism. In the cells of the organ, testosterone, with the help of the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, passes into the form of dihydrotestosterone, which, by binding to a specific receptor, forms a complex that causes the division and rapid growth of glandular cells. . The result is prostate hyperplasia. The organ grows in size and causes obstructive symptoms.
A drug for prostate adenoma based on a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor neutralizes the action of the enzyme, thus stopping the tumor from progressing, reducing its size, and restoring free urination.
In the practice of treating the disease with 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors, drugs based on finasteride and dutasteride, steroid hormones are used. The advantage of these substances is considered to be a selective effect only on the metabolite dihydrotestosterone. Unlike other hormonal agents, they do not bind to sex hormone receptors and, accordingly, do not cause hormone-dependent side effects (severe sexual dysfunction, male breast enlargement, bone tissue softening, muscle atrophy).
Reasons for choosing 5-alpha reductase inhibitors:
Relief from obstruction symptoms occurs after a few weeks, on average after 4-6 months. In 3-4 years of use, the volume of the hyperplastic organ is steadily reduced by 25%. The larger the tumor at the beginning of therapy, the faster it will decrease.
Release form: tablets.
The effectiveness of herbs in treating the disease is due to phytosterols, the main advantages of which are known as a combined mechanism of action and a minimum of side effects.
Reasons for treating prostate adenoma with herbal medicines:
Creeping palm extract (Serenoa repens)
The largest number of random clinical trials have been performed in relation to this plant, as a result of which reliable data on its effectiveness have been obtained.
Herbal medicine for prostate adenoma contains lipidosterol. Their mechanism of action is to inhibit testosterone metabolism by suppressing 5-alpha reductase activity and blocking the binding of dihydrotestosterone to receptors. Due to the anti-inflammatory effect, the edema is reduced, the vascular wall is restored and blood circulation is normalized.
A multifaceted effect on the pathological process ensures the elimination of irritating and obstructive symptoms. An important advantage of using creeping palm extract is the absence of hormone-dependent side effects, which allows you to use this medicine without restrictions if you want to have a full sex life. With prolonged use, tumor volume decreases. Creeping palm extract does not affect the level of prostate specific antigen in the blood.
The drug for prostate adenoma based on the plant Serenoa repens is considered the number 1 herb in herbal medicine for the disease. With mild symptoms and a small tumor size, monotherapy is performed with a medication based on the trailing palm.
Release form: tablets and capsules.
Other herbal remedies
Among the medicinal plants that have a positive effect on the disease, there are also:
Combined treatment - a modern approach
The main position in the treatment of hyperplasia is occupied by 3 groups of drugs:
- Alpha blockers.
- 5-alpha reductase inhibitors.
- with severe symptoms of the disease and a significant tumor growth, the use of combinations of alpha-blockers and 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors is advised. Alpha-blockers begin to work after a few hours or days and the clinical effect of 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors appears after a few months. The downside of combination therapy is the full range of side effects realized by both groups of drugs. Tadalafil-based prostate adenoma medicine is a ready-made combination medicine. It also has a therapeutic effect on erectile dysfunction, therefore, it is prescribed for the treatment of hyperplasia only for sexually active men with healthy heart and blood vessels. Available in tablets;
- irritating symptoms and tendency for tumor progression: alpha-adrenoblockers + phytopreparation;
- obstructive symptoms and large tumor sizes: 5-alpha reductase inhibitor + phytopreparation.
Drugs of animal origin
In the treatment process, medicines-extracts of dried animal organs have proven themselves successfully. The drug for prostate adenoma based on the prostate gland extract of young bulls that have reached puberty has a complex effect: anti-inflammatory, decongestant, analgesic, normalizing blood circulation.
With infectious complications, the tools used to treat prostatitis are used.
Remedies for prostatitis
Drug treatment of prostatitis is complex. Main groups of funds:
These substances are able to penetrate into the tissues of the affected organ and destroy bacteria - the cause of prostatitis. They are used in the form of tablets and injections.
- hormonal injections;
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Drugs of animal origin (similar to the treatment of hyperplasia).
- Phytopreparations (similar to the treatment of hyperplasia).
For the treatment of prostate adenoma and prostatitis, a Chinese patch has now become known - a concentrate of 7 medicinal plants, however, clinical studies in this area have not been conducted.